Tibet Travel Permits

For international tourists, there are mainly two kinds of permits for traveling in Tibet: Tibet Entry Permit (TTB permit) and Aliens' Travel Permit (PSB permit).

Tibet Entry Permit - TTB Permit

Tibet Entry Permit, issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau (TTB), is necessary for entry to Lhasa or any other parts of Tibetan Autonomous Region. The international tourists are required to apply for the TTB permit before entering Tibet. They can get the permit through a qualified travel agency. Without the permit, foreigners can't buy the air or train tickets to enter Tibet. It is also an essential document to go to Tibet by car as there are checkpoints on the way.

Journalists and diplomats are not authorized to go into Tibet as tourists. Their visit should be under the arrangement of Foreign Affair Office of local government. 

Easy Tour China can help our clients to get the permit with the adequate personal information offered in advance: the full name, sex, birth date, nationality, passport number, and occupation. The application usually takes one week long, please offer the required information to us at least 10 days prior to the entry date.

Aliens' Travel Permit - PSB Permit

Those international tourists, who intend to explore the remoteness of Tibet, are required to apply for Aliens' Travel Permit to get the approval of the local government.

According to China's law, some restricted areas are not open to the foreigners unless they apply for an Aliens’ Travel Permit from the PSB (Public Security Bureau) of Tibet. If the foreigners, who don’t have a travel permit, are found by the local PSB at the restricted areas, they will be fined, and even sent out of Tibet.

Easy Tour China will assist our clients to apply for the PSB permit after their arrival in Tibet. 

The major closed areas in Tibet:

  • Tsetang: Samye Monastery, Tomb of Tibetan King, Changdruk Temple, Yumbulakhang
  • Shigatse: Sakya Monastery, The Mt. Everest area, Rongbuk Monastery
  • Gyangtse: Pelkor Chode Monastery & Kubum Stupa
  • Nqari Region
  • Basumtso Lake in Nyingchi Region
  • Chamdo Region

  • Notes:
    1. Before you enter China, you need to hold a valid passport with China visa, which can be applied at a Chinese embassy/consulate in your country. It is generally better not to mention the visit to Tibet when applying for a Chinese visa (not applicable for Chinese Embassy in Nepal). After you obtain the China visa, you can easily get Tibet permit with the help of your China tour company. Otherwise, it will take a longer time to complete the procedures.

    2. If you want to enter Tibet from Nepal by either car or airplane, you have to apply for a group visa (even merely one person) through a qualified local travel agency at the China's Embassy in Nepal. In case there is an existing visa in your passport, this visa will be cancelled and a group visa will be issued instead without any charge.

    3. Tibet Travel Permits are obtained through tour operators as part of arrangements for travel. If you do not book any tour (like Land Cruiser with driver, guide) from us, Easy Tour China can not help you get the permits. Actually, no travel agency can provide "permit-only" service, and it is also not allowed by the government.
    Since the government encourages group tours to Tibet the permit is issued only to tour groups traveling with a Chinese tour operator. Your travel agency will represent you to facilitate the application process.
                                                                                                                -- China Tibet Tourism Bureau

    Ask a Question